Frequently Asked Questions
Before contacting us, please browse our FAQ.
Why is IGOR so cheap now?
IGOR is a great way to build simple but compelling digital exhibits - however, we now publish a much more sophisticated tool called Darwin which gives you masses more features and power. However, Darwin licences start at £3000 + VAT and we know that not all museums can afford this, so for those organisations with limited budgets – but high aspirations! – we have kept IGOR on sale, at a greatly reduced price.
Why should I buy IGOR?
Using IGOR to develop digital content means that your software development costs are very low. Each licence is only £499. In our experience this is much lower than you might normally expect for exhibits like this. (Of course you have to provide the content but for most digital projects that would be true anyway.)
Slashing the software development costs is good news for all kinds of budget: for large budget projects, the savings can be ploughed into other ‘big ticket’ digital exhibitions. And those projects with smaller budgets may now be able to afford digital exhibits where the cost has previously been prohibitive.
And because the IGOR licences last forever – meaning you can re-use and re-purpose your IGOR installations again and again – their value for money gets better the more you use them!
Who can buy IGOR?
Museums, galleries, historic houses, parks and other not-for-profit organisations. If you’re not sure whether you qualify, contact us.
Where can I download a demo version?
You can find one here on this very site: http://www.igor-uk.com/igor/tryit/
How do I install IGOR?
IGOR lives in its own folder which is installed on the desktop of your PC or Mac. All content should be added to that folder. When your IGOR installation is ready, simply copy the IGOR folder to your destination machine i.e. the machine that lives in the gallery/exhibition in question.
How to I get started?
Download the guided tour and run the IGOR program to see it. Have a look at the user manual. Then you can run the Content Tool and begin to modify it to your requirements, one page at a time.
How do I make other installations?
IGOR is designed to be simple to use. Simply copy your original IGOR installation folder and add new content to that, changing it a page at a time.
Does IGOR produce updates, and do we get any of those when we buy IGOR?
What is the lifespan of IGOR?
The only real limit on IGOR’s lifespan is finding computers to run it on! As long as you can find a PC running Windows XP, Vista, 7 or greater – or Macintosh 10.5 to 10.12, you can run IGOR. In practice this means anything between next five to ten years (or longer).
In terms of how ‘trendy’ an IGOR exhibit might be in the future, only time can tell. But the requirement for simple, compelling, robust digital exhibits is not going to change any time soon.
So... why use IGOR?
- It’s a lot cheaper than using agencies.
- It’s flexible and easy to use.
- For most museums, for most projects, IGOR can provide you with what you need.
- It’s optimised specifically for museums and galleries. For example, the installations at the Science Museum were built and maintained by non-technical content teams.
- It runs on pretty much any PC (XP and later, or OSX 10.5 and later) so you can reuse those old computers, saving even more money.
- When you’ve bought IGOR, you can use it and re-use it over and over again – just as long as you don’t exceed the number of licences on-gallery at any one time. IGOR gets better value for money the more you use it.
- It promotes easy development. You can start developing with IGOR before you have all your assets or worked out your final text; you can build it up a piece at a time and not have to continually remake it over and over.